Contact us
    Back to overview Send an e-mail

    Send an e-mail to 1700, the information service for all your government related questions.
    You will receive a copy of this mail.

    Back to overview Chat with us
    Your chat session will start automatically after an operator becomes available.
    Please wait while we determine your queue position.

    Study grants in higher education

    The costs associated with education can be quite high. In order to ensure that everyone has access to higher education, the Flemish authorities provide a study grant in some cases.


    In order to obtain a study grant, certain conditions must be met. These conditions relate to:

    • your nationality
    • your income
    • the educational institution and the course of study you choose.


    You must be a Belgian national. If you are not a Belgian national, you or your parents must live or work, or have worked in Belgium for some time.


    The decision to award you a study grant depends on, among other things, your family situation and your income. This includes your salary as well as, for example, any benefits and alimony payments you may have received. The ‘kadastraal inkomen’ or cadastral income (estimated net rental value of your immovable property on an annual basis) of your residence will also be a factor in the calculation in certain cases.

    Educational institution and course of study

    • You must follow a recognised course of study at an institution that is recognised, financed or funded by the Flemish Community. You can consult the Higher Education Register (Hogeronderwijsregister) to this end.
    • Your course of study must lead to a diploma.
    • You must still have sufficient study grant credit.

    Specific conditions apply to studying abroad.

    More information is available at the website of the ‘Afdeling Studietoelagen’ (Study Grants Division).



    The amount of the study grant depends on different factors.


    Afdeling Studietoelagen (Study Grants Division)
    Koning Albert II-laan 15
    1210 Brussels
    Tel.: 1700
    Contact form Afdeling Studietoelagen