Are you moving to Flanders? Like any other newcomer, you are entitled to a civic integration pathway organised by the Flemish Authorities. This civic integration features Dutch-language courses, support in looking for a job and an introduction to what's on in Flanders culturewise.
- Moving to FlandersIf you plan to come and live in Flanders, you are actually moving to Belgium.You have to attend to a number of formalities and have the required residence documents. You do not have the Belgian nationality but want to live in Belgium?Or maybe you are Belgian and have lived abroad for some time? Probably you will want to take some personal belongings. Can you do so just like that?Are there customs formalities to satisfy or any taxes to pay?What about social security and fiscal matters? You can find an answer to all these questions on the website belgium.be.
- Civic integrationFlanders and Brussels are home to people coming from all corners of the world. Civic integration can help them to take up their role as citizen, parent, employee, entrepreneur, student, member of an association… A civic integration programme consists of: a basic Dutch course an introduction to the Flemish and Belgian society coaching in the search of employment or studies, and towards the provision in terms of culture and leisure activities personal guidance. You can find more information on the civic integration programme on inburgering.be.
- Flemish Rent subsidyIf you have a low income and move from a poor, non-adapted house to a decent, adapted house which you rent on the private rental market or from a social letting agency, you qualify for a contribution towards the rent or a rent subsidy. You only qualify if you have recently moved or are planning to move within the short term. This contribution towards the rent is composed of two parts. a monthly rent subsidy and a one-off installation premium.
- Flemish rent premium for prospective tenants of a social houseLow-income families who have been waiting four years or more for social housing and live in a private rental house can qualify for a monthly rent premium. If you already receive a rent subsidy, and you also qualify for a rent premium, then your rent subsidy will end and you will receive a rent premium instead.
- Home improvement grantWould you like to carry out improvement works to your home? Then maybe you qualify for the Flemish home improvement grant. The aim of the Flemish home improvement grant is to provide financial help to anyone who wants to improve or extend their house because it no longer meets the standards.
- Home adaptation grantIs your home no longer adapted to the physical ailments of old age? Then maybe you qualify for the Flemish home adaptation grant. The aim of the Flemish home adaptation grant is to provide financial help to over-65s who want to adapt their home to the physical needs of old age, for instance by placing technical aids or making renovations to increase accessibility.
- Urban planning permission (building permit)If you are planning works, the general rule is that you apply for an urban planning permission. You need a permit if you have the intention to build to renovate to demolish to dig to cut down trees to put up fences,... For a number of smaller works you do not need an urban planning permission or only have to inform your municipality of the works In both cases, the works may not contravene e.g.: urban development regulations or allotment regulations spatial implementation plans special development plans requirements of allotment permits regulations on monuments and sites,...
- Energy performance certificate required for rental or sale of existing homesThe seller or landlord of a home must have a energy performance certificate (EPC). Only an accredited energy assessor is authorised to produce such a certificate. The EPC mentions the energy rating of a home and informs the buyer or tenant on how to make the home more energy efficient. The EPC does not impose any requirements on the building. It may be used to inform potential buyers or tenants about the energy efficiency of the home. The energy rating of a home must be mentioned in real estate and property renting advertisements. An EPC remains valid for 10 years.
- Guaranteed Housing insuranceThe Guaranteed Housing insurance is a free insurance. As an employee you can take out this insurance for ten years when you take out a mortgage to build, buy or renovate a house. The insurance premium will be paid by the Government of Flanders. If you involuntarily become unemployed or incapable of work during this period, you may receive a contribution towards the repayment of your mortgage.