Everyone is entitled to sound care. Flanders can boast many high-quality hospitals, administering the best of cares.
- Health insuranceIn Belgium, health insurance is part of the social security system. Everyone has to have health insurance and must join an accredited health insurance fund. If you do not want to join a health insurance fund, then you can join the ‘Hulpkas voor Ziekte- en Invaliditeitsverzekering’ (Auxiliary Illness and Disability Insurance Fund)....
- Joining the Flemish Social ProtectionThe ‘Vlaamse Sociale Bescherming’ (Flemish Social Protection) offers financial assistance to people requiring long-term care. The Flemish Social Protection differs from the health insurance, which refunds medical costs and is provided by the health insurance funds. The Flemish Social Protection also has nothing to do with a hospitalization insurance or other additional insurances offered by the health insurance funds.More information is available on the website of the Flemish Social Protection (available in Dutch only).
- Acknowledgement of parentageThe acknowledgement of parentage is a statement where you officially acknowledge that you are the father, mother, or co-mother of a child. By acknowledging parentage, you have the same rights and obligations towards your child as your partner does. Acknowledgement of parentage is not always necessary. A child born within a marriage, automatically has the partner of the mother as father or co-mother.
- Find help for your disability through the Support Plan Services (DOP)The Diensten Ondersteuningsplan or DOP's (Support Plan Services) help you, as a disabled person, to find adequate support. Together with you, a Support Plan Service will look for services or people who can provide help and support suited to your needs. The result of this is a support plan specifying your options. For more information, please contact one of the five Support Plan Services (web page only available in Dutch).
- Parking card for people with a disabilityPeople whose weakened health condition limits or reduces their mobility capacities, can apply for a parking card for people with disabilities. This parking card gives you permission to park in reserved parking spaces and in the blue zones. These parking spaces are often located near important sites, such as at the entrance to a complex or in the city centre.